Lawrence A. Frolik
1971-72 Harvard Law School LL.M. cum laude
1966-69 Harvard Law School J.D. cum laude
1962-66 University of Nebraska B.A. with Distinction
Majors: English and History
Awards: Phi Beta Kappa
- Pennsylvania, 1976
- Massachusetts, 1973
- New York, 1970
- United States Tax Court, 1974
- United States Third Circuit Court of Appeals, 1977
- 1996 University of Pittsburgh Law School Excellence in Teaching Award
- 1993 University of Nebraska Outstanding Alumni Award
- Editor-in-Chief, NAELA Law Journal (2006 – 2008)
- Fellow, TIAA-CREF Institute
- AARP Financial Management Group Volunteer Representative (2007 -2008)
- American Bar Association Committee on Bioethics
- Past – Chair ABA Torts and Insurance Practice
- Section Seniors Issue Committee (2002-2003)
- Past Co-Chair ABA Tort Trial and Insurance Practice Section Medicine and Law Committee (2000-2001)
- Editorial Board Member, Tort Trial and Insurance Practice Law Journal
- Board of Directors, Kendal Corporation
- Member, Pennsylvania AARP Executive Council
- Board of Advisors, Journal of Victimization of the Elderly & Disabled
- Board of Advisors, Elders Advisor
- Academic Advisor, The Borchard Foundation Center on Law & Aging (1999 – 2004)
- Member, Pennsylvania Council on Aging (appointed by Governor Rendell)
- Member, Allegheny Children, Family and Youth Services Advisory Committee
- Chair, Pennsylvania Bar Association Elder Law Section (2001- 2003)
- Director, Gruter Institute Teaching Conference on Law, Biology & Human Behavior, Squaw Valley, California (1996 2000)
- Executive Committee Gruter Institute for Law and Behavioral Research (1996 – 2002)
- Gruter Institute Research Fellow, Gruter Institute for Law and Behavioral Research
- Fellow, American Bar Foundation
- Academic Fellow American College of Trust and Estate Counsel
- University of Pittsburgh Task Force on Healthy Aging
- Chair, ABA Section on Real Property, Probate and Trust Law; Committee on Special Problems of Guardians and Conservators (1992 96)
- Congressional Appointed Delegate, 1995 White House Conference on Aging
- Board of Directors, Allegheny County Association for Retarded Citizens (1991-93)
- Chair, Pennsylvania Protection and Advocacy Network (1980-81)
- President, Aging and the Law Section, Association of American Law Professors (1993- 94)
- Member, University of Pittsburgh Benedum Geriatrics Group
- Member, Allegheny County Aging Task Force
- Member, Allegheny County United Way Senior Connection
- Member, Pennsylvania Attorney Generals Task Force on Elder Abuse
- Member, National Academy of Elder Law Attorneys
- Member, ABA Section on Real Property, Probate and Trust Law
- Member, Allegheny County Bar Association, Trust and Probate Section Council
- Member, Allegheny County Bar Association, Elder Law Committee
- Member, Pennsylvania Par Association Elder Law Committee
- Member, University of Pittsburgh Council on Aging
Professor of Law
University of Pittsburgh
School of Law
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania 15260
Recent experience includes:
- 1975 – 2009
University of Pittsburgh School of Law
- 1975 – Assistant Professor of Law
- 1978 – Associate Professor of Law
- 1981 – Professor of Law
- 1972-75 Attorney, Lourie & Cutler, Boston, MA
- 1977 (Summer) Visiting Assistant Professor of Law, West Virginia University College of Law
- 1978 Visiting Associate Professor of Law, University of Illinois College of Law
- 2000-2004 Visiting Professor, University of Miami Law School Graduate Program in Estate Planning
- 1969-71 Captain, U.S. Army; 2nd Division Artillery, Korea
- 1980-81 Consultant on Issues in Guardianship, Pennsylvania Developmental Disabilities Council
- 1984-87 Consultant, Pennsylvania Joint Legislative Advisory Subcommittee on Guardianship Reform
- 1985-86 Consultant, American Association of Retired Persons, Elderly Hotline Project
- 1988 Participant, Johnson Foundation/ABA Wingspread Guardianship Conference
- 1989 Consultant, Wisconsin Supreme Judicial Council Guardianship Reform
- 1992 Lecturer, Louisiana Judicial College
- 1993 ABA Senior Lawyers, Task Force on Guardianship Reform
- 1993 95 Participant, Gruter Institute Conference, Biology and the Law
- 1996 2000 Director, Gruter Institute, Law, Biology and Human Behavior Annual Squaw Valley Conference
- 1997- 2002 Director, Pittsburgh Office, Gruter Institute for Law and Behavioral Research
- 1998 – 2000 Chair, Planning and Programming Committee, Gruter Institute for Law and Behavioral Research
- 1999- Member, Treasurer (2005- ) Board of Directors, The Kendal Corporation,
(Affiliated with Society of Friends (Quakers) Parent Corporation for Continuing Care Retirement Communities)
- 1999- Member, The Borchard Foundation Center on Law & Aging, Academic Advisory Board
- 2001 – 2003 Chair, Pennsylvania Bar Association Elder Law Section
- 2001 – 2006 Member, American Bar Association Bioethics Committee
- 2002 – Trustee, The Family Trust (ARC created pooled trust for disabled persons)
- 2002 – 2008 Pennsylvania AARP Executive Council, Member for Policy Issues
- 2002 – 2003 Chair, Seniors Issues Committee, American Bar Association Torts Trial and Insurance Practice Section
- 2003 – 2005 Member, Pennsylvania Council on Aging
- 2008 – Member, American Bar Association Senior Lawyers Division Council
- 2008 – Chair, Publications Committee, American Bar Association Senior Lawyers Division
- 2007 – Member, Emerging Issues Committee, American Bar Association Torts Trial and Insurance Practice Section
- Surrogate Decision-Making Standards for Guardians: Theory and Reality, (with Linda Whitton) U. of Pittsburgh Legal Studies Research Paper No. 2012-06.
- Rethinking ERISAs Promise of Income Security in a World of 401(k) Plans, 20 Connecticut Insurance Law Journal 371 (2014).
- How to Avoid Guardianship for Your Clients and Yourself!, 23 Experience 26 (2013)
- Protecting Our Aging Retirees: Converting 401 (K) Accounts into Federally Guaranteed Lifetime Annuities, 47 San Diego Law Review 277 (2010).
- Core Values in Conflict: The United States Approach to Economic Assistance to the Elderly, 1 Phoenix Law Review 325 (2008).
- An Essay on the Need for Subsidized Mandatory Long-Term Care Insurance, 21 Notre Dame Journal of Law, Ethics & Public Policy 517 (2007).
- Is a Guardian the Alter Ego of the Ward?, 37 Stetson Law Review 53 (2007).
- The Challenges of Estate Planning With a Very Old Client, 34 Est. Plan. 3 (May 2007).
- Issues Facing Elderly Americans, American Association for Justice (Feb. 2007).
- ‘Sufficient’ Capacity: The Contrasting Capacity Requirements For Different Documents, (with Mary F. Radford) 2 NAELA Journal 303 (2006).
- Paying for Long-Term Care, 17 Experience 35 (ABA Senior Lawyers Division, Fall 2006).
- ‘Old Age with Fears and Ills’: Planning for the Very Old Client, 38th Annual University of Miami Philip E. Heckerling Institute on Estate Planning (2004).
- Assuring Quality Nursing Home Care: A Case of Market Failure, 9 Ethics, L. & Aging Rev. 43 (2003).
- Housing Choices and Older Clients: Dealing with Issues of Identity and Quality of Life, 24 Pennsylvania Lawyer 26 (Nov/Dec 2002).
- The Clients Desire to Age in Place: Our Role as Elder Law Attorneys, NAELA Quarterly (Summer 2002).
- Promoting Judicial Acceptance and Use of Limited Guardianship, 31 Stetson Law Review 735 (2002).
- The Developing Field of Elder Law Redux: Ten Years after, 10 University of Illinois Elder Law Journal 1 (2002).
- Insurance Fraud on the Elderly, 37 Trial 48 (June 2001).
- Nursing Home Litigation: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly, 7 Ethics, Law, and Aging Review 117 (2001).
- The Strange Interplay of Testamentary Capacity and the Doctrine of Undue Influence: Are We Protecting Older Testators or Overriding Individual Preferences?, 24 International Journal of Law and Psychiatry 253 (2001).
- Estate Planning for United States Clients Who Own Property Abroad, 13 NAELA Quarterly 21 (2000).
- Estate Planning
- Elder Law
- Federal Tax Policy
- State and Local Finance and Taxation
Residence Options for the Elderly or Disabled Client (ABA 2008)
The Law of Later-Life Health Care and Decision Making, (ABA 2006)
Law of Employee Pension and Welfare Benefits, 2d ed. LexisNexis (co-author Kathryn Moore) (2008)
Law of Employee Pension and Welfare Benefits Teachers Manual, LexisNexis (co-author Kathryn Moore) (2008).
Law of Employee Pension and Welfare Benefits Statutory Supplement,LexisNexis (co-author Kathryn Moore) (2007).
Aging and the Law Reader, editor, Temple University Press (1999)
Residential Options for Older or Disabled Clients, ABA (2007).
Counseling the Older Client, American Law Institute-American Bar Association (co-authors, Barnes & Whitman) (1997).
Elder Law in a Nutshell, 4th edition, West (co-author, Richard Kaplan) (2006).
Advising the Elderly or Disabled Client, 2nd edition, Warren, Gorham & Lamont (co-author Melissa Brown) (1999 plus semi-annual supplements).
Elder Law: Cases and Materials, 4th edition LexisNexis (2007)(co-author Alison Barnes)
Elder Law: Selected Statutes and Regulations, LexisNexis (2007) (co-author, Alison Barnes).
Teachers Manual for Elder Law: Cases and Materials, 3rd edition LexisNexis (2007) (co-author Alison Barnes).
- Guardianship Decision Making in Theory and Practice, July 24, 2011, Southeastern Association of Law Schools Annual Meeting, Hilton Head, South Carolina.
- Guardianship Decision Making Under the UPC, Oct. 20-21, 2011, ACTEC Conference.
- Review of the Uniform Probate Code, Univ. of Michigan Law School, Ann Arbor, Michigan.
- Guardianship: Vulnerability & Protection versus Autonomy & Independence, Oct. 22, 2011, and Aging in the United States: The Next Civil Rights Movement, Beasley School of Law, Temple Univ., Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.
- Foundations of Guardianship Decision Making, Jan. 6, 2012, AALS Annual Meeting, Washington, D.C..
- The Doctrinal Dimensions of Elder Law, Jan. 12, 2012, Univ. of Iowa College of Law, Iowa City.
- End-of-Life Decision Making: Informed Consent Has Become Family Consent, March 25, 2012, Columbia Univ. Seminar Conference on Death New York, New York.
- Update on Guardianship, June 24, 2012, ACTEC Annual Summer Meeting, Atlanta, Georgia.
- Guardianship Decision Making, Oct. 14, 2012.
- Participant, Speaker, and Voting Delegate at National Guardianship Reform Conference, Univ. of Utah College of Law, Salt Lake City, Utah.
- Dealing with the Partially Incapacitated Client: How to Prevent Financial Abuse, Undue Influence and Other Ills of Aging, December 14, 2012, Hawaii Bar Association, Honolulu, Hawaii.
- Update on Estate and Elder Law Issues, Feb. 25, 2012, Pennsylvania Academy of Elder Law Attorneys, Bedford Springs, Pennsylvania.